What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are substitute or artificial roots for missing teeth. They are placed in your jaw to hold a replacement crown, tooth or a set of teeth. This is an ideal treatment for people who have damaged or missing tooth/teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or some other reason and seeking for replacement.
Are Dental Implants safe?
Yes, Dental Implants are typically safe and they can last for many years. Implants are made of different metallic and bone like ceramic material that are compatible with body tissue. Once placed, the implant fuses with bone and becomes stable. This process takes about 3-4 months after which the prosthodontist designs replacement tooth/teeth over it.
However, with new advanced technologies, it is now possible to give you set of new teeth within a week of implant placement.
Who can get Dental Implants?
In most cases, if you have lost teeth you are a candidate for dental implants. However, it is important that you are in proper health condition, have good bone structure and healthy gums.
There are some conditions and diseases that can affect dental implants such as diabetes, cancer, smoking, alcoholism, or uncontrolled gum diseases (Periodontal). It is important to let your dentist know all about your medical status with all medications you are taking, whether they are prescribed, alternative (herbal) or over-the-counter.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- A cost effective way to give you artificial teeth
- Next best thing for healthy and natural teeth unlike dental bridges or dentures
- Dental implants are built to last and come with a life time warranty
- Only dental restorative option that preserves and stimulates natural bone unlike dentures
- These implants require little maintenance so you can stop worrying and start enjoying life
- They also help to maintain the natural shape of your face and smile